Dell'Arte Graduates Live and Work In Communities Around the World---as actors, directors, devisers, and playwrights, in theatre, variety, and circus.....
More grads who've started their own companies are on the page: "Companies Started by Graduates......."
********** RECENT NEWS ! **********
AWARDS, CASTING, NEW JOBS, GOOD STUFF!
Colin Gee ('92) awarded the 2011-2012 Rome Prize
Liza Bielby (MFA '08) awarded a $10,000 "IN the LAB" grant from Theatre Communications Group (TCG) to co-lead a training exchange between U.S. physical theatre artists and xiqu artists in China. Bielby and Richard Newman ('03), are co-artistic directors of Detroit's Hinterlands Ensemble, which has received support from the National Performance Network Creation Fund program for our The Circuit. Co-commissioned by Alverno Presents and MOCAD, this $10,000 grant will support the development of the work for presentation and touring in 2013.
Meghan Frank & Pratik Motwani (MFA’12) awarded a Puffin Foundation grant to tour their show, “IN-tents” to national parks in summer 2012. http://www.puffinfoundation.org
Paul Kalina ('97) is Assistant Professor at University of Iowa theatre dept and co-founder of Chicago's 500 Clown www.500clown.com
Pratik Motwani (MFA '12) is in the national tour of Imago's ZooZoo. www.imagotheatre.com/zoozoo.html
Artemis Pebdani ('00) stars in the latest New Kids on the Block music video smarturl.it/nkotbremixvid She recently completed another episode of "How I Met Your Mother" and played 'Artemis' in "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia."
Laurabeth Breya is in the national touring cast of Warhorse. www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jun/19/war-horse-gallops-into-la/
Paul Lopez ('04) is in Spiegelworld's "Absinthe," a huge hit in Las Vegas, now in an open-ended run.... www.spiegelworld.com/absinthe/absinthe.html
Shenoah Allen ('97), co-founded the duo "Pajama Men," tearing it up a festivals around the world.www.pajamamen.com
Jesko von den Steinen ('95) created the leading male role in Franco Dragone's "The House of Dancing Water," now playing in Macau. www.thehouseofdancingwater.com/
Hannah Kenah ('03) is a member of Austin's Rude Mechs and is touring with "The Method Gun." She is also writing and performing in their newest work, "Now Now Oh Now." rudemechs.blogspot.com
"Miss Behave" (Amy Saunders '03), who co-created the London hit, "La Clique," did the London holiday season in "La Soiree," as did Mooky Cornish ('00 ) www.la-soiree.com/performers.asp
Ross Travis (09) played Cyclops and other roles in the sea-going "The Odyssey" produced by We Players of San Francisco on the 2-masted Alma. He also acted in their "Hamlet," staged on Alcatraz Island. www.weplayers.org/ Natty Justiniano (MFA 08) and Julie Douglas (MFA 09) joined the summer cast of the 2012 "Odyssey."
Jai Lavette (MFA 11) was cast in Portland's Imago Theatre 2012 production of Yukio Mishima's "The Black Lizard" www.imagotheatre.com/
Barb Geary ('79) is starring in Peter Davis' "Breadwinners" in Baltimore http://whatweekly.com/2012/05/23/conversations-on-theater-breadwinners/
Nick Trotter (MFA '09) was hired as Producer-Manager of the Bovine Metropolis Theater in Denver.
Bill Celentano ('93) : cast in Murray Mednick's new play, "The Fool & The Red Queen, produced by Padua Playwrights, playing May-June at Hollywood's Lounge Theatre losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/Murray-Mednicks-THE-FOOL-AND-THE-RED-QUEEN-Set-for-519-624-Run-at-The-Hollywood-Fringe-Festival-20120413
Joe Dieffenbacher ('89) was named director of the Clown Conservatory at the San Francisco Circus Center.
Chilean director/playwright Guillermo Calderon's ('99) play, "NEVA," won rave reviews at LA's Under The Radar Festival in June '11. Trinidad Gonzalez Jansana (99) plays Olga Knipper in "NEVA". www.undertheradarfestival.com/ They played the 2011 Tampere Festival in Finland. The show played with an American cast at New York's Public Theatre in 2013.
Aaron Cromie ('01) directs TItus Andronicus for the Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre opened 4/12. Promo at www.youtube.com/watch
Robin Detje's ('88) critique of post-dramatic theatre published in Yale Theater Magazine, online at http://theatermagazine.yale.edu/detje-article
Tyler Olsen ('00), who founded Dangerous Theater in Mnpls/St. Paul is the subject of a news feature: www.knightarts.org/community/stpaul/tyler-olsen-brings-something-happy-to-st-pauls-central-corridor
Liza Bielby (MFA '08) & Richard Newman ('03), co-artistic directors of Detroit's Hinterlands Ensemble, were featured in the NY Times July 1 article in the art scene in Detroit, and just completed a tour to China with their original play, Manifest Destiny, with actors Eleni Zaharapoulou (07) and Steven DeWater (09). www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/fashion/the-young-and-entrepreneurial-move-to-downtown-detroit-pushing-its-economic-recovery.html
Nathaniel Justiniano (MFA '08) is now on the faculty of the Clown Conservatory of the San Francisco Circus Center, and the Kinetic Arts Center of Oakland, CA.
Sheila Bandyopadhyay ('98) has accepted a one-year appointment for 2012-13 as Movement Faculty at FSU/Asolo Conservatory in Sarasota, Florida. www.asolorep.org/
Stephen Buescher ('00) is Head of Movement at the American Conservatory Theatre (A.C.T.) in San Francisco www.act-sf.org/
Gulshurin Dubash (MFA '07) joined the fulltime faculty at Interlochen Academy for the Arts, Michigan
Sarah Liane Foster ('01) teaches at Giovanni Fusetti's Helios School in Florence.
These Dell'Arte grads appeared at the New York Clown Festival :
- Kasidy Benjamin ('09) just completed the Broadway National Tour of Monty Python's Spamalot. www.montypythonsspamalot.com/spamalot_tickets_info.php
- Elizabeth Colon Nelson (MFA '10) joined The Actors' Gang, L.A., played Lady Capulet in their 2011 summer show...www.theactorsgang.com/
- Estela Garcia (MFA'09) works with Rogue Artists Ensemble of L.A.
- Balazs Lazar (01) is an actor with Vígtheatre in Budapest.
- Jonathon Taylor (98) is a performer with BlueMan group.
- Magnus Errboe (99) recently served as one of the organizers of a music, theatre and dance festival in Silkeborg, Denmark; and works with Odin Teatre.
- Alyssa Ravenwood (92) is a freelance director, physical theatre instructor and mask designer. She has worked with the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble, Sojourn Theatre, Theater! Theatre!, Young Players, Ensemble Loupan. Alyssa won the 2004 Portland Theater Drammy award for Outstanding Achievement in Mask Design.
- Anna K. Soderberg (00) is the Artistic Director of the Radiant Theatre in Portland, OR.
- Alissa Mortensen (03) co-founded Nebunele with classmate Claytie Mason.
- Billy Hetherington (00) recently toured South and Central America with World Peace Clowns.
- Seth Bloom (97) recently returned from teaching and performing in a circus program for children and communities in Kabul Afghanistan and completed the MFA Program at the London International School of Performing Arts.
- Christina Gelsone (98) has also toured to and worked in Afghanistan in 2003 with Bond Street Theater.
- Joshua Wynter ('04) is a member of Bond Street Theater of NYC. www.bondst.org/
- Newman (94) creates and sells his original masks nationally and internationally at www.commediamask.com
- Canadian grads Becky Johnson (99), Lisa Ross (99) and Erin Bouvy (94) were featured in a "Secondary High," an independent film, at the Frameline Festival in San Francisco. Becky is a current performer with "Awesome Club" in Toronto. Lisa and Erin have collaborated on several projects, including the creation of Clown Hall in Toronto. At present, Lisa is working alongside of Andrew Morphew (97) with Counternotes, company founded by Zach Smith (99).
- Alex Feldman (82) is based in Boston, and tours as Alex the Jester in the U.S. and abroad.
- Jan van Kammen (02) was a recent finalist in the World Champions of Magic competition in Amsterdam.
- Eric Rhys Miller (98) was an artistic associate at A Traveling Jewish Theatre in San Francisco, and recently directed Pamela Rosin (03) in a TJT production.
- Courtney Cunningham (98) premiered her show "Ashira69" at the 2003 New York Fringe Festival.
- Bill Blakie (84) is a Senior lecturer & Course Coodinator of BA Communication - Theatre/Media at CSU, Bathurst, NSW, Australia, where he works closely with Jerry Boland (81).
- Audrey Finkelstein (02) is a teaching artist with Genesis, a program at Brandeis University for high school students which integrates Judaism and the arts.
- Michele Schultz (96) premiered her first solo show, "Stupina, Genius at Work" at the Maryland Renaissance Festival.
- Heidi Van (02) is an ensemble member with Princess Squid Productions in Kansas City and a member of "Boom!" the traveling theatre band. (And a new mom!)
- Crispi Porat (00) co-founded Wide Open Theatrical Escapades (www.wideopne.ca) the only family theatre company in Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Matt Haynes (03) recently served as co-leader for Interlocken's European Traveling Minstrels program.
- Brian Herndon (95) and Anastastia Coon were actors with PCPA TheatreFest in Santa Maria and Solvang, CA
- Vanessa Pierce (00) completed her masters degree in Drama Therapy at New York University.
- Lindsay Lucas (02) co-founded Out Theatre Collective in Portland, OR. Eric Reid (02) is a regular ensemble member with the company, and has also worked with Sojourn Theatre and Imago in Portland.
- Matthew Kern (97) --his first CD, titled "afterhours," a solo jazz piano project, available on Amazon.com
- Tony Fuemmeler ( 03) is a maskmaker in Portland, OR
- Spencer Lefrenz (02) was a performer with the puppetry company, Drama of Works, touring Europe and the U.S., now builds furniture in SF.
- Kali Colton (00) is a faculty member at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia.
- Liebe Wetzel (91) is the artistic director of Lunatique Fantastique in San Francisco.
- Sarah Parker Leventer (02) received her MFA from Brown University in '09
- Rethel Gill (92) is pursuing a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. She is also a certified Ashtanga Yoga teacher.
- Jamie McLaren Lachman (01) founded Clowns Without Borders South Africa.
- Grey Valenti ('01) works with the commedia group teatro del Zanni.
- Dana Wieluns (95) is Co-Artistic Director of Ziggurat Theatre Ensemble in Bowdoinham, Maine. She works as an actress, movement designer and consultant, mask performance coach, yoga instructor and childbirth educator. www.ZigguratTheatre.org and www.EmbodyBirth.com
- Jamie Peck (91) is an actor with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and the artistic director of Nutshell Masks & Theater in Ashland, OR.
- Tobias Lawrence (98) is an ensemble member with Hand2Mouth Theater Company in Portland, OR.
- Vanessa Davis (00) completed the MFA in Acting at the University of North Carolina Greensboro.
- Steve Tenerelli (92) is former director of the Dell'Arte Youth Academy.
- Sara Katzoff (00) runs the Berkshire Fringe Festival.
- Matt Roberts (02) is an instructor with the education program at Berkeley Rep, and is a touring performer with Word for Word in the Bay Area.
- Robin Detje (84) has just written and directed a play for Theater Combinale in Lübeck, Germany, in a classical mix of Dell'Arte style.
- Jon Nagel (95) is the Drama teacher at Bohannon Middle School in San Lorenzo, CA. and a regular performer in Bay Area theatres.
- Jeff Raz (79) is former director of the Clown Conservatory at the San Francisco School of Circus Arts, perfomed in Cirque du Soleil's "Corteo" and is now a casting director for Cirque.
- Stine Lundgaard Nielsen (01) is training in manipulation and puppetry at Central School of Speech and Drama London.
- Joel Sugerman (95) is an actor, director and teacher living in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Leslie Sapp (90) is a storyteller in Takoma Park, Maryland.
- Blake Montgomery (95) is founder/artistic director of The Building Stage, Chicago
- Alice Nelson (MFA '11) was named "Everyday Hero of the Week" by Global National TV News in Canada. Read Laughter making a Difference: Alice Nelson
- Greg Maupin's ('01) ensemble, "Le Petomane" has a great writeup in the Louisville press
- Debbie McMahon's ('03) Grand Guignolers are getting great press in Los Angeles for their "A Very Grand Guignol Christmas," directed and co-produced by Debbie.
- Suzanne Santos ('05) is a company member of 108 Productions in Los Angeles. Thier production "Corpus Christi" was the winner of the Intercultural Dialogue Award from the Lord Mayor of Dublin at the International Dublin Gay Theatre Festival.
- Deven Sisler (‘04) is currently working as an actor with Boxtales Theater Company and Proboscis Theater Company in Santa Barbara; and she is an AcroYoga teacher.
- Bridget AKA Bird McCracken (97), co-founder, Managing Director and Lead Teaching Artist, Trash Mash-Up in San Francisco, CA and Actor, Stage/Tour/Production/Booking Manager for The Dell'Arte Company 1997—2001.
- Jessie McCracken (01), co-founder, Artist Director and Lead Teaching Artist, Trash Mash-Up in San Francisco, CA and Senior Program Assistant with Center for Elders and Youth in the Arts and Tears of Joy Puppet Theatre Company in Portland, OR and House Manager for The Dell'Arte Company's Mad River Festival from 1998—2001.
- Mooky Cornish in "The Glories of Gloria"
- Suzanne Santos in "The Damsels"
- Erin Bouvy in "Moving Target"
- Matt Chapman & Josh Matthews in "Solo"
- Sarah Liane Foster in "The Last Show You'll Ever See",
- Nick Trotter in "Ferdinand The Magnificent,"
- Olivia Lehrman in "Ms. Pretty Smart, Secret Agent,"
- Adriana Chavez & Heidi Rider in "Clowns With Gowns"
- Rebecca Stabile & Gentry Roth